1. 13-03-2012, 14:00

930 • 1,628 • 4
    In-game: Vortex
    Object list:

Before we start, this tutorial is made for people who have knowledge of the map-editor of MTA SA.

Spend time to make both track and deco, it's better to spend 2 more weeks on it than rush it.

So, how do you make a decent map?

I'm going to divide this tutorial into 2 sections:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: The Track
    2: The Decoration

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Track:

Nowadays people "need" the toolbox to map, so it's advised to download it first, and watch a tutorial about it.

First of all, it's important to ALWAYS let the driver know where the track is going. I see alot of new mappers who make their track so weird that you have no idea where to go.

Now, let me make a list to make a great track:

1. Make smooth landings, (if you're to lazy to make them, here's a tool)it's always annoying if you land real hard since you often bounce off.
    2. Try not to make endless (350+ pieces) Loops/Wallrides with Bauss' Toolbox, those are boring to drive. (imo)
    3. If you make a ramp, always cover it with a shade, (Preferably with another colour). Here's an Example.
    4. Create some diversity in the track, don't make 3 loops in a row. Make as many diversity as possible. (Wallride/Ramps/0.50 loops etc.. etc..)
    5. Find some new objects to use as a track! Alot of people only use shades/roads. Try to use buildings as well, alot of them are driveable and look nice as well.
    6. Use the track in such a way which nobody has done before, that might take time, but it's worth the effort.
    7. If you make a ramp of only 1 type of shade, try to create a pattern in the ramp. (1 grey/4 brown or 2 grey/5 brown etc...)
    8. Build the track lower or the same height as the deco is, if you do so, you can see alot more from the deco.

The Decoration:

Use the toolbox as less as possible for the decoration. If you copy Rocks/Trees etc.. with it it will look generated which shows you didn't put much effort in it.

1. If you're making your first map, it's not a problem to use basic objects like Rocks/Trees/Buildings etc.. but it's always better to try something different.
    2. If you're gonna make a tropical-style map (Time-5:30-6:00), pick objects that fit in a tropical map. (Brown Rocks/Palms/Hipoly/Brown-coloured buildings) So don't use snow trees etc..
    3. If you're gonna make a night-style map (Time-0:00-4:00), pick objects that fit in a night style map. It's adviced to use dark objects and put a light object on that, because in a night map you see lights alot better, and they look better as well.
    4. Combine objects in such a way that they look cool together, do NOT just pick objects you saw on other maps and put them together with rocks and trees.
    5. A diversity of colours is always adviced. For example: a white rock combined with object-"hipoly" looks great if you put a "healthcity" behind it.
    6. A thing that I use alot is to make the deco look "real-ish". For example: A bridge can't fly, so make some pillars to "support" it. Buildings can't fly as well, support them with rocks so they look like they're standing on something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some usefull (imo) tropical objects.

-8902 -Bally building (Pink building)-- Attachment 525
    -16113 -Brown rocks
    -726...735 -Hipoly trees -------------Attachment 526
    -8397 -Luxpillar (Big yellow pillar) ----Attachment 527
    -3276 -Wooden Fence---------------Attachment 530

Some more buildings I like in a tropical map:
    10398, 4193, 4569, 4573, 4576, 4681, 6966, 10056, 10143

Some buildings in a nighttime map:

LibrTow1_Lan || 4550
    ballypllr01_lvs || 3437
    ballys01_lvs || 8393
    exclbrsign01_lvs || 8620
    ggbrig_06_sfw || 9690
    mall01_01_sfs || 10974
    flamingo02_lvs || 8488
    vgn_corpbuild3 || 6873
    vgsn_pipeworks01 || 7347

Also i'm sure I've forgotten something, any feedback is welcome!
    (Oh ye, i'm posting this in general discussion because very few look in the Tutorial section.)

I hope this was usefull in a way.

-Vortex
    Last edited by Vortex; 15-08-2012 at 21:56.
    121 Likes
    AndyHeteroBaSzTy!BreAkeRArmaniDrakeExtremeSpeedYDraculaLuka_cePunisherXenzativThisGuyDiviNe~MicraZeroMASHINE-yAsSeRalezZHermesRevoirNiKeRloolusDeAdAnGeLLightShaaLo!GanstaRyDeRPeiNPunky!iSpyrOZetsu~CracksCapeCBassGamingThunderGlobuLfastcake.xInvaDeXeaTLucklTermi[R]usitoSorenHyPeXHomyatolASJYoka#PepyakaPeeJStr3mHellyeahGermO#Monstercat^KingzKeX#AlcatrazKiwiSkynetShunehRuguxS.#VehOKumikoESKADIVIHyp3rXSt0pr0c3NTHadoukeN.DinamicDirectXplPrix^Wizzy#ProGearDualBlade572MoHaMaDVentoMachinerySirTerningLookaTRelaxzMAgNiToSebiSharif68M4ST3R[#1]Joseph'ShadeTVzLabiVilaHerculePoirotModernviperHeathcliffSanto#NameLessEGCrazy~AhMoDeToZIsCo//xFataLTecho~Am10YaKxDarkNMiha!ByaNMadDogRDL#AkthamVonKasty~LeoN#*MLX~>IceCube.Hack#VISHALATr1XTurbo^Lumb^Nebla!MajdSelmiIsGhHiImSyrusManouSeKaToRiFunnyoWyverN.Andreas6662timesproZinTroAlimahmuod1100^L3id! 

2. RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 14:32 • #2
    So basically you're saying it's more important to put effort in the deco than the track? Way to go.

3. 13-03-2012, 14:33
    930 • 1,628 • 4
    RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 14:33 • #3
    Originally Posted by Flake
    So basically you're saying it's more important to put effort in the deco than the track? Way to go.
    I said that they shouldn't rush the deco. I didn't say they should rush the track instead..

But I edited it to avoid any misunderstandings in the future.

4. RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 14:35 • #4
    It's just what I experience as the biggest problem in nowadays maps, they rush their track with toolbox and spent rest of the time making some useless deco. Instead, the time spent on deco should be the time spent on making the track perfect and deco is just something to make the map look nicer overall, shouldn't be the other way around.

5. 13-03-2012, 14:38
    930 • 1,628 • 4
    RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 14:38 • #5
    Originally Posted by Flake
    It's just what I experience as the biggest problem in nowadays maps, they rush their track with toolbox and spent rest of the time making some useless deco. Instead, the time spent on deco should be the time spent on making the track perfect and deco is just something to make the map look nicer overall, shouldn't be the other way around.
    That wasn't my intention at all.. I just forgot to mention it by the track.

6. 13-03-2012, 15:49
    418 • 1,074 • 3
    In-game: Migma~
    RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 15:49 • #6
    Good tutorial, I liked the way you explained.

Those 'blind maps' where you can't see the road started to be annoying also - hope people will care about it.

7. 13-03-2012, 18:03
    26 • 14 • 0
    In-game: IcyEasychair56
    RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 18:03 • #7
    Vortex, that's a lovely guide! Thank you very much.

8. RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 18:49 • #8
    Wrong section.
    I prefer to stick it on the 'Mapping' subforum.

9. 13-03-2012, 18:51
    617 • 1,521 • 4
    In-game: Dougie
    RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 18:51 • #9
    Someone was bored on their Coffee-duty today ;p
    2 Likes

10. 13-03-2012, 18:52
    930 • 1,628 • 4
    RE: [TUTORIAL] Official Map Making Thread! 13-03-2012, 18:52 • #10
    Added some tropical objects, will add more later.

1 Users reading this thread (0 Members and 1 Guests)